Happy New Year! Wow! It’s already 2014. It’s time for resolutions and…… that’s right it’s FAFSA time! FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) awards federal and state grants, work-study, student and parent loans to college students to help reduce the cost of higher education. The application for the 2014-2015 academic year is now open. Montana State University has a priority deadline for FAFSA of March 1st each year. We recommend students have their FAFSA completed by the priority deadline if possible. The MSU FAFSA school code is 002532.
Here are some things to keep in mind when filing for FAFSA….
1) FREE Application for Federal Student Aid. If the website you are using asks you for your payment information in order to complete the application you are using the wrong site. Go to https://fafsa.ed.gov/
2) Don’t forget to get your FAFSA pin! https://pin.ed.gov/PINWebApp/pinindex.jsp
3) Use a reliable email address on your application. Many schools (including Montana State University) send out FAFSA packets electronically instead of a hard copy packet so be sure to choose an email address that you check regularly. Also be sure to periodically check your junk and spam email folder incase your financial aid packet gets directed to one of those folders by accident.
4) Try to complete FAFSA as soon as you can. Don’t put it off until the last minute incase something comes up. Some awards are first come, first serve so having your applicaiton in by the priority deadline is very beneficial.
5) Don’t be afraid to ask questions! We know that financial aid can be confusing and stressful. The MSU Office of Financial Aid is available to asnwer questions and help you through the process. http://www.montana.edu/wwwfa/